Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Classic Scents, Nostalgia or Nightmare?

“Smells like my grandmother.” This popular variant of “smells like an old lady” is often applied to powdery, musty florals and spicy oriental fragrances and is not a compliment. Fact: 100 out of 100 women I have interviewed will not wear their mother’s signature scent. I suspect a girly backflip on Oedipus taboos.

Would we like this scent it if it weren’t for mom or grandma? If we could erase the memory of a perfume, how different would it smell?
When grandmothers, not yet mothers, first donned Estée Lauder’s Youth Dew, how did it smell to them? Keep in mind: Their grandmothers knew that nice girls didn’t wear perfume. Did it smell old and fusty, the Trojan horse in the form of brown bath oil Estée used to scent a generation of women who would not buy real perfume for themselves? Or did it just smell rich and spicy? What was the mental image evoked by Youth Dew, the emotional response in 1953?

We rule out once-popular fragrances simply because we’ve smelled them before. Isn’t that a little like: “Cheese, never touch the stuff, my folks always had cheese around.” Not that I think people reject a scent to be difficult. No, it really smells dated, and in a bad way, not like old is new again and black is the new black.

If I had $10 for every woman who has told me she won’t wear Clinique Happy because her mother wore it, I could buy myself a bottle of Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Pampelune. If these women gave me $15 instead, I might spring for Annick Goutal’s Eau d’Hadrien. With the change I would buy some really good grapefruits and eat them.

Along the same lines, if I had $20 for every woman who won’t wear Chanel No. 5 because 2) her mother wore it, 2) her step-mother wore it or 3) her sadistic boss wore it, I would buy: Bois de Portugal, Cabochard, Cuir de Russie, Elle, Elle, Ferme tes Yeux and Vent Vert. Note that these fragrances are not floral aldehydes in the same spirit as Chanel No. 5 but I want them very badly.

I was in my early 40’s, driving home from work at the end of a day. On this day my gas tank read very low near a Mobil station I had not patronized before. Inside, they had tiny fragrance samples for sale. Real perfumes, not the “if you love Cinnabar, you’ll love Cinnabore” type. I believed that anything as popular as Chanel No. 5 had to be awful, but curiosity won out. For practically nothing, I got to try the world's best selling fragrance of all time. In this case, that many people are not wrong. You should try it, and pretend that your mother didn’t wear it. Forget what I said about Oedipus and the wicked witch too.

You deserve the right scent, be it old or newborn. Don’t let the ads and sales clerks push you around. Smell for yourself and decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment