Saturday, June 14, 2008

Moderation Shmoderation

Many offended by public displays of perfume have organized. See Breathe Free or Die (your source for buttons, magnets, keychains and posters that say: “I’m fragrance free. Help me stay that way!”) or Fragrance Free World. These groups educate and defend the rights of people with multiple chemical sensitivity, migraines, asthma, allergies and other conditions, as well as the soon-to-be “formerly healthy people who’ve been exposed to too many chemicals.” I am torn on this issue. Life and death aside, have you ever tried to eat sushi in the presence of extreme Giorgio? Or watch theater next to Amarige applied with an without discretion? Don’t.

On the whole, we dwell more on the dangers of perfume over-use than its under-use. A few weeks back I attended a college alumni event, all perfect strangers. Out of decorum, I applied a mightily restrained portion of my chosen scent. To be extra careful, I put it on at four p.m. for the evening event. Champagne, Hors d’oeuvres. Great art. Conversation about fragrance. When asked about mine, I had no evidence. We pawed, we sniffed, but not a trace. Later that evening, on my way out, a woman swept by me wearing the very scent I craved. Filled with melancholy, I left the party, never to make that mistake again.

No comments:

Post a Comment